MusicPlaylistView Profile
Create a playlist at MixPod.com

Friday, March 18, 2011

Appreciation.

We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude. ~Cynthia Ozick

The easiest way to test if someone really appreciate you is by volunteering. Volunteering basically means offering what you can do to make a difference to others without expecting any rewards in return.

I was approached by my friend about volunteering for a radio station. The idea of working for a radio station sounds very appealing to me, especially when it's related to the music industry. At first i agreed as i would love to have some sort of experience in this field. But another thought struck my mind. Would i get paid for this?

Now i know that volunteering and getting paid doesn't really go together. But what if your service actually gives profit to the company? And to think that i would have to sacrificed some of my time for someone else's profit does bother me a little, though my friend assured me that we volunteers will get paid when profits are rolling in.

At this point, whether i'm getting paid or not is not my main concern. Being appreciated is. For me, appreciation is one of the most sought after rewards to volunteers. Rewards does not mean in the form of money or valuables. A simple thank you or gestures that makes you feel appreciated are priceless.

But now i feel like my efforts are not being put to good use. Yes, i might not have any experiences, but i did try my best to do what i can to help. You asked for my help, and i did. But if you're not ready to accept any of my hard work, please do not waste my precious time. I'm not really sure what kind of situation you're in right now, but make sure that you appreciate every volunteers that are doing their best to help.

I've already spent so much time doing research, recordings, travelling, and even some of my sleeping time just to make it right. And now our program is on hold? If you think there's a problem why made us do so much at one time? Why say nothing when we asked for opinions?

I'm not asking much from you but i hope you can do something to improve this situation. Think about how you deal with people. Think about how you manage a business. Think about what you wanted to achieve in the first place, not based on what you can get. This is not only about you, coz you can never do this if you're alone. I believe i'm not the only one waiting for that change to happen.

The deepest principle in human nature is the craving to be appreciated. ~William James

No comments:

Post a Comment